There are tons of different file formats present today, but PDF format outstands them all. Unlike many other file formats, PDFs are famous for their universality and acceptability. You can view a PDF file on any device with any operating system. Since PDF stands for Portable Document Format, it’s pretty obvious that it reduces the file size, but without compromising quality. This is the reason professionals across the world prefer PDF files. But often, we need to edit our PDF files or convert other file formats to PDF, and many people do not know how to do it. A lot of people think it’s a task that requires a lot of in-depth expertise, but thankfully that’s not the case. With just the right PDF editors software, you can quickly make changes to your PDF File.
Top 10 best PDF editors
Here, in this article, we have shortlisted top 10 best free PDF editors software for you. Yes, that’s right, you can edit your PDF files professionally all for free! We’ll be giving a brief description of each of the Softwares and also its features.
1. Icecream PDF Split & Merge
Icecream PDF Split & Merge, as the name suggests, is an application that allows you to split and merge your PDF files in a very easy and straight forward way. You can split a multiple-page document into a single page document. There are a lot more things you can do with the help of its various splitting tools. This free application allows you to merge and split without any page limitations and also offers password-protected files.
- Allows you to split a multiple-page PDF into a single page with just a few clicks
- Features multiple split modes which let you split by page groups and ranges and remove specific pages from the PDF
- Certain page ranges can be saved as separate PDF files
- PDF merger lets you combine multiple PDF files. Password-protected files can also be combined
- Working in the ‘Merge PDF’ mode allows you to edit the file sequence in the queue
- No limitations on the number of PDFs that can be split or merged
Note: This feature is only available in the pro version of the application which is not free
- Permissions, passwords, and meta can be set in PDFs
- Encrypted files
- Features an in-built PDF reader which eliminates the need to install an additional software
2. PDF Buddy
PDF Buddy is a great online PDF editors, and since it’s online, it’s perfect for those who want to edit their PDF editors without spending a lot of time in installing editing software. You just have to upload your PDF file on its website to start making changes in your PDF including addition and removal of images, signature, and removal of objects through whiteout. To save your edited PDF file, you’ll have to create a free account on PDF buddy which is quick and easy.
- Can be used on any device including PC, Mac, and Chromebook. All you need to do is open any web browser of your choice and go to their website
- Multiple PDF files or pages can be merged or split
- Filling out forms, adding signatures, removal of objects through whiteout and highlighting text is easier than ever before
- Use of Secure sockets layer and AES-256 bit encryption make the site safe and secure
- Free editing of up to 3 PDFs every month
AbleWord is a free PDF editors and word processor. It’s a word processor that allows you to create and edit PDF files and many other file formats. Its user interface holds a lot of similarities with older versions of MS office applications. After the completion of the editing process, you can save the file in whichever format you want. This feature makes it a unique file editing software.
- Capable of writing other popular formats along with PDF
- Supports image formatting, tables, headers and footers
- Following types of files can be written and read by AbleWord: PDF, DOCX, RTF, TXT and HTML
- Conversion of PDF to Word and vice versa
- Includes spell checking and other and print preview functions
- Supports Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
4. Foxit PDF Reader
Foxit PDF Reader is PDF file reader and editor which supports Windows, Linux, OS X and Citrix. It’s rich in features and has integrated Connected PDF technology. It’s also an award-winning PDF reader. It provides you basic PDF editor features such as text highlight, underline text, strikeout text, and add notes and text. But with these basic features, it also offers you some entirely new and unique features.
- Connected PDF technology allows you to share and discuss your ideas and opinions with others in Discussion board
- Any existing PDF file can be easily converted to Connected PDF
- Features a Microsoft Office-style ribbon toolbar making it easier for new users to learn
- Customizable toolbar allows users to decide the location of tabs or create a new tab with their choice of buttons
- Touch screen support enables users to use Foxit on their Windows touch-screen devices
- Paper contracts, agreements, and other relevant documents can be easily converted to PDF
- Files can be saved in Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, Box and Alfresco
- Documents can be signed with user’s signature or eSignature
- Signature validation status allows the receiver of the PDF file to know if the file was modified after it is signed
- Users can decrypt or encrypt Microsoft Active Directory
- Mass deployments can be customized through XML configurations support
5. Expert PDF Reader
Expert PDF Reader is free software for viewing and editing PDF files. Although free, it does not offer unlimited editing of files but what can we expect when it’s free? It allows limited files but with quite a lot of features. You can add digital signatures, stamps, highlight text, and add text and boxes with this software. It offers many other features as well.
- Expert PDF editors lets you open, navigate and print your PDF file
- PDF files can be manipulated by changing security, merging, inserting or extracting pages from other document files and then saving them
- ‘Sticky note’ comments can be added. Additional information can also be included in the existing comments
- Comments and notes can be saved and highlighted directly from the pdf file
- Allows for bookmark editing
- Lots of formatting features which include font and color along with bold and italic preferences
- Same destination zoom level can be set for all pages in a document or multiple documents in one file
- Most features are very similar to that to Microsoft Office programs for quick learning by new users
6. PDF Eraser
PDF Eraser, as you can probably guess by its name, is an application that erases unnecessary objects including text, images, and logos from a PDF file. It can also cut and rotate pages in a PDF editors file. Changes can also be undone. But this application, as of now, only supports Windows.
- Unwanted text and images can be quickly erased from a PDF file and saved into a new one
- New text and images can also be added to the existing PDF file
- PDF Rotating function enables users to rotate their pages to the correct format in just two clicks
- PDF page cutter allows you to cut all the unwanted and unnecessary pages all at once from your PDF file
- Size of the eraser in PDF Eraser is customizable as per your requirements
- Size of this application file is only 7.6MB
7. PDFEscape Online PDF Editor
PDFescape is an online PDF editors and viewer. Since it’s web-based, you don’t have to install any application or software to get the best out of this editor. You simply have to go to their website, upload your PDF, and start editing. It has some basic features like whiteout, text insert, form field and also includes many additional features. It’s good for those looking for an easy way to edit PDFs without spending a lot of time.
- PDF editors can be opened on most web browsers on your device
- Compatible with Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera and IE 6+
- Rotation and zoom mode allow users to view the file according to their preference
- PDF text can be searched quickly and easily to find words and keywords
- PDF documents can be saved, downloaded or printed
- Text, shapes, images and whiteout can be added to the document
- Crop, Add, Move or Delete PDF pages with great ease
- PDF information tags can be modified
- Encryption of PDF documents with a password
- Scanned signature can be used to sign the PDF document
- Links can be created to other PDF pages or web content
- Free form filler on the site allows users to create forms for commercial use.
8. DocHub: The Online PDF Editor
DocHub indeed has one of the most heavily loaded PDF editor tools online for free. Even large files can be edited with ease with this editor. All PDF edits made using DocHub are saved in real-time to the cloud. Basic things like text, images, and highlight can also be added to the file. It also allows you to collaborate with others by inviting other users to your document. It’s not just a free editor, but also cost-free PDF form filler. If you feel satisfied with its free service, you can upgrade your account to a premium paid which will provide you extra features including multi-user signing of the document, fax pages and much more.
- Text highlight and whiteout can be applied to the document
- Use of pen tool to create vector based drawings
- Add comments and images or mark the document with stamps
- Rotate, reorder or destroy the pages in the document. Reordering of pages is done with drag and drop tool
- Supports multiple file formats including DOC, PPT, XLS, TXT, DOCX, PPTX and much more along with PDF file format
- Accessible on mobile phones with all the features including signatures that are available in the desktop version of the editor
- All modifications and changes made to the PDF get automatically saved to the cloud in real-time
- The edited PDF file has the same quality as the original file. No compromise with the quality in the finished version
- Integration with Gmail, Google Drive, and Dropbox allow users to import files directly from Gmail inbox or Google drive and same for exporting edited files
- Merge multiple documents with one click on append file button
- Supports all European languages as well as Hebrew, Arabic, Japanese, Russian, Korean, Chinese and many more
- 256-bit SSL Encryption ensures a better quality of privacy and communication between your device and the website servers. Private documents are kept secret in DocHub
- Users can allow other users to view, edit or sign their documents
- Make the file public to share your documents with the URL of the file
- Create a free account with just one click
Lumin PDF is yet another fantastic web-based PDF viewer and editor heavily loaded with amazing tools. If you have a laid out design for your PDF in your mind, this editor is going to be perfect for you. Free-form illustrations, text, highlight, images and many more things can be added to the document. Multiple customized signatures can also be included in the document. LuminPDF also supports multiple file formats and not just PDF. There is also a paid premium version that unlocks many additional features such as premium email support and multi-document types.
- Compress a PDF file to reduce its file size and make it more space friendly
- Split or merge multiple PDF documents or pages into one file without leaving your native web browser
- Accessible on tablets, phones, and computers
- Simple and beautiful user interface
- Allows multiple users to collaborate and edit the same PDF file making it perfect for office or school projects
- PDF form support allows users to Create, edit, save and print a form set up with Lumin PDF with automated saving of forms
- Integration with Google Drive, cloud, Box and Dropbox allow users to import files straight from their inbox and edit them and export them directly to their inbox
- Auto Saving saves all the files automatically enabling users to reopen the document at any time
- Share documents through email or a link and control if other users can add annotations
- Password locks can be removed from secure pdf files
- Convert a PDF file to Word, Postscript or Excel
PDFzorro is an amazing online PDF editor that is free of cost. For the number of features it provides for free, it is quite impressive. Your PDF files are very secure here as they are uploaded over SSL encrypted connections. Shapes, text, images and highlight can be added to the documents. PDFzorro also has chrome extensions to let you import pdf files from your Google Drive cloud storage account.
- Easy upload of files online on the website
- Add or delete pages in the PDF file
- Rotate the pages as per personal preference
- Add custom signature, white out or highlight text and create or fill form forms
- SSL encryption connection ensure better safety and security to the users
- Multi-platform feature allows users to access the website on any platform
- No installation process
- Files can be removed permanently from the cloud after editing
- Use of chrome app to merge files directly from Google Drive storage
- Voluntary donation to the website for further improvements
Over to you:
We are often required to edit PDF editors files for many reasons. The thing is most of the editing can be done easily with free software and tools. One does not need to splurge a lot of money on premium software just to get the work done so here we shortlisted top 10 best free PDF editors just for all the users out there. All the software and applications listed in the article will definitely help you present your pdf files in a better and creative way.